St Johnstone 1-2 Partick- Match Report

Miller and Lawless score as Partick end long wait for a win at McDiarmid ParkSpectacular first half strikes from Gary Miller and Steven Lawless ended Partick's frustrating 22-year wait for a victory at McDiarmid Park.St Johnstone were unable to build on Steven MacLean's ninth goal of the season shortly after the interval and failed to preserve their unbeaten home record, going down 2-1 in this Ladbrokes Premiership.Although the Firhill side had skipper Abdul Osman sent off four minutes from time for a second booking, they saw out the contest.The Jags went into the game with Frederic Frans and Robbie Muirhead listed among the substitutes after knocks.Perth boss Tommy Wright, who signed a contract extension earlier in the week, restored goalkeeper Alan Mannus after suspension, with back-up Zander Clark on the bench alongside attacker Michael O'Halloran, who also missed the 5-1 win over Aberdeen before the international break.Mannus was tested in the seventh minute when Stuart Bannigan connected with Tam Scobbie's clearing header and drilled his shot straight at the Northern Ireland international.Within minutes the Thistle midfielder let loose from 25 yards - but while his strike evaded Mannus it also went inches wide of the target.Tomas Cerny was alive to the threat posed by Dave Mackay's 18th minute 20-yard free-kick, with the Perth skipper's effort evading the defensive wall only for the visitors' keeper to push it around the post at full stretch.Thistle responded immediately and Mannus used his chest to block a bobbling shot released on the counter-attack by David Amoo.But the home keeper was beaten when former Perth full-back Gary Miller pounced on Liam Craig's headed clearance in the 28th minute to combine power and technique in an unstoppable right foot shot from 25 yards.Craig should have levelled in Saints' next attack but the midfielder headed over from close range after rising to meet MacLean's cross.The visitors doubled their advantage in the 34th minute with another impressive strike, this time from roving midfielder Steven Lawless, who arrowed a ferocious 30-yard snapshot into the top corner with Mannus again helpless.Saints, with O'Halloran replacing Simon Lappin, pulled a goal back within three minutes of the resumption, with in-form marksman MacLean enjoying a free header to finish Graham Cummins' hanging cross.Only a brilliant Cerny save denied Craig an equaliser in the next Perth attack and the keeper thwarted Cummins with a vital save to prevent the Irishman's header sneaking in at the upright.Jags captain Osman was red carded in the closing stages for a second booking when referee John Beaton adjudged deliberate handball charging down a Joe Shaughnessy drive at the edge of the penalty box.However, Thistle stood firm to delight their 515 travelling fans with another win against Tayside opposition

Source : PA

Source: PA